Fasting, a method of restricting food intake which has been practiced for thousands of years.
4-Day Water fasting is a type of fast that restricts everything except water for 4 days continuously. It has become more popular in recent years as a quick way to lose weight.
Recent studies in this direction have shown that water fasting could have health benefits. For example, it may lower the risk of some chronic diseases and stimulate autophagy, a process that helps your body break down and recycle old parts of your cells.
That being said, human studies on water fasting are very limited. Moreover, it comes with many health risks and is not suitable for everyone.
This article gives you an overview of 4-day water fasting and how it works, as well as its benefits and dangers.
Here are a few reasons why people try water fasting:
The main reason why people try water fasting is to improve their health. In fact, several studies have linked water fasting has some impressive health benefits, including a lower risk of certain cancers, heart disease, and diabetes. Water fasting may also promote autophagy, a process in which our body breaks down and recycles old, potentially dangerous parts of your cells. Popular diets like the lemon detox cleanse are modelled after the water fast. However, water fasting has many risks and can be very dangerous if followed for too long.
How To Do 4-Day Water Fast?
There are no scientific guidelines on how to start water fasting.
The very first thing you must consider before 4-day water fast is “why”.
Why do you want to Fast? Is it to lose weight? Is it for spiritual reasons? Is it for health reasons? Do you want to change your diet? There are many reasons for fasting and most of them are great but I do not recommend fasting just to lose weight. I say this because if that is the case it won’t work for that alone for permanent weight loss results.
Unless you plan to change your current diet to a healthier one after the Fast you will be disappointed in the overall result.
You will lose the weight doing the Fast but if you go back to eating the same foods you ate before the Fast you will gain that weight back again.
Fasting is a great way to change an eating diet because it will clear out all the addictive elements of what you may be eating now. It’ll be like clearing out the old furniture from your house before you put in the new furniture. Fasting supports and lays down the foundation for a lifestyle change, not just a weight change.
Know your reason for Fasting, use the three major categories to help you in this question; Health (Body), Discipline (Mind) or Spiritual (Soul) Before a Fast it is best to know what kind of Fast you are going to take on. There are many variations on (Food) Fasting. A Fast can be applied to absolutely anything, Fasting from TV, Music, Reading or Sex. It doesn’t have to be about abstaining from food.
Once your “WHY” is clear, then it’s easy for you to do this 4-day water fast. You have to just drink water when hunger arises.
Is 4-Day Water Fasting Dangerous?
As you take on a Fast you may see and hear others say that it’s dangerous. I’m here to tell you the truth that Fasting can be dangerous if you don’t pay close attention to what your body communicates to you. You must really listen to your body and give it what it needs during the duration of the Fast. There 3 things you must do to assure this.
- Drink enough fluids
- Get plenty of sleep and rest.
- Move slow and take your time (Don’t be too active and don’t over exert yourself) Doing these things will give you what you need to have a great Fasting experience and even help you greatly at completing your Fast at your desired timeframe without any physical challenges. Not doing these things will result in a bad experience with Fasting and can be dangerous.
4-Day Water Fast Benefits/Results:
- May Promote Weight Loss: You may see some weight loss during a fast, if only for a few days. By restricting caloric intake for 24 hours or more, you will more than likely experience weight loss. Remember though, that this weight loss is probably in the form of water weight and glycogen (stored carbohydrates), and not actual fat loss. It takes a few days for your body to begin burning stored fat because it uses available energy like glucose and glycogen first.
- May Lower Blood Pressure: Drinking more water and consuming less salt are two things associated with lower blood pressure readings. A water fast will enable you to do both of these things, which could help manage blood pressure. Medically supervised water fasts have shown to be effective in lowering blood pressure in patients with borderline hypertension.
- May Promote Cell Recycling: Every day, your cells are broken down and recycled. This the process is called autophagy, and it’s thought that autophagy may play a role in preventing cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- May Lower Your Risk of Disease: There is limited evidence that water fasting can help with cancer and heart disease. Several studies show that water fasting can protect animals from free radical damage to the heart. Additionally, research on animals suggests that water fasting can stop the growth of tumours, as well as improve how well an animal takes chemotherapy.
- May Help Protect Against Diabetes: Research shows that fasting of any type may help to improve insulin sensitivity. Insulin resistance is the main factor in the development of type 2 diabetes, so it’s possible that short water fasts can improve insulin sensitivity and decrease the risk of diabetes.
Spiritual Benefits of Fasting:
Fasting is less about what we’re giving up and much more about what we’re making room for. When we fast, we exchange what we need to survive for what we need to live—more of God. Here are five spiritual benefits to fasting:
1) A soul cleansing.
2)A new satisfaction
Dangers of 4-Day Water Fasting:
Although water fasting may have some benefits, it comes with health risks. Here are a few dangers and risks of water fasting.
- May lose the wrong type of weight: Because water fast restricts calories, you will lose a lot of weight quickly. In fact, research shows that you may lose up to 2 pounds (0.9 kg) each day of a 24- to 72-hour water fast. Unfortunately, a lot of the weight you lose may come from water, carbs, and even muscle mass.
- May become dehydrated: Although it sounds strange, water fast could make you dehydrated. This is because roughly 20–30% of your daily water intake comes from the foods you eat. If you’re drinking the same amount of water but not eating foods, you might not be getting enough water. Symptoms of dehydration include dizziness, nausea, headaches, constipation, low blood pressure, and low productivity. To avoid dehydration, you may need to drink more than usual.
4-Day Water Fast Weight Loss:
As I mentioned earlier, water fasting can help you lose weight.
When wanting to take on a new diet Fasting is a great way to start. After purifying yourself of all the toxins you have accumulated over the years a radical change in diet is easier. It’s much harder to change a diet while you are still on the previous diet.
The body will only want the food it is used to getting. After a long enough Fast the body has eliminated addictive elements and will love to receive and digest any kind of food. Your job is to give it the best kind of food possible and start your new life on a great foundation.
How To End The Fast Safely?
Breaking your Fast is just as important or more important than the Fast itself.
If you just begin eating the foods you ate before the Fast right away your body will go into a state of shock.
Remember that your digestive system is in a state of hibernation and has “shut down” in order to conserve energy. If you just put any kinds of food in your body, it will just sit in your body for a few days causing serious stomach pains and sickness.
There are many ideas as to how to break a Fast.
The most extreme is for every day you Fast is one day of Break-Fast. I prefer 1 day of the reintroduction of food (Breaking the Fast) for every 5 days of Fasting.
Breaking the Fast ultimately means no meats or processed foods for the whole duration of the Break-Fast. The introduction of solid foods is slow and progressive.
The best way to break a Fast is with drinking some watered down juice like orange juice, grapefruit or even carrot juice for one whole day. Give yourself a nice stomach massage to stimulate the intestines into action.
If you want a guide to 7-day water fast, please click here.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in the article have been written for general awareness and should not be considered as professional medical advice. We strongly recommend you consult your doctor or an expert before starting any fitness regime, diet changes, or lifestyle choices that affect your physical or emotional health.